Saturday, March 26, 2011

Church for two...

A week after Lindsey and I arrived in Kosova last February, we witnessed the baptism of a young man who had given his life to Jesus the previous summer.  He and I share the same birthday, but I'm ten years older.  From that day forward, the persecution he faced from his family and those throughout his village became even more intense.

Every day this young man faced threats, anger, verbal and physical abuse from practically everyone he encountered.  In spite of all this he continued to attend church.  Eventually he was kicked out of his home, and came to live with Lindsey and I for a few days since none of his family knew where we lived.  What ensued later was a struggle involving a very angry mother, police, etc... that resulted in his return home.  Since then he rarely came to church, and anytime he was able to obtain a Bible his mother would use it to start fires to warm the family home.  Every now and then he would appear without notice at our homes or church, almost like a phantom.  And as quickly as he arrived, he would leave.  Usually his appearance was in part because he was supposed to be going to the market or visiting family and he would make a short side trip to visit us.

More recently, I have begun traveling about an hour each way every Tuesday to meet with this young man for an hour before his school began.  He has no phone in order to confirm our meetings ahead of time.  I show up and hope that he is able to do the same.  During one recent trip out to see him, my phone rang.  Answering it, the voice on the other end was that familiar voice of my little brother.  "I'm in the bus behind you.  Pull over."  As we rode the rest of the way together, he explained he had used the bus driver's phone to call me.  That day we had an extra 30 minutes together.  We both needed it.  The time I spend with him is such a blessing and encouragement to me.  I consider it such an incredible privilege, honor, and responsibility to be a part of this young man's life.  We meet at a certain place, and sit at the same table each time.  I guess you could call it a church for two.

I remind him every time we meet of the countless numbers of people that are constantly praying for him. I can tell that he receives it, believes it, and appears to be encouraged by it.  But sometimes I wonder if he knows it throughout the week...how much my words alone about others' prayers encourage him.  And then another missionary had a great idea.

Today, we passed a card around and wrote short messages and Bible verses to encourage our little brother when I see him next Tuesday.  It's at this point in my post that I would like to encourage you to become involved.  I would like to invite you personally, as a church, as a small group to take some time to pick up a card and fill it with encouraging words, scriptures, and prayers for our brother in the Lord.  He understands English fairly well, and they can be translated for him if need be.  Once ready to be mailed, please address them this way:

Jason D Cole
FP 70
Peja, Kosova 30,000
VIA ALBANIA

Mail takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive.  Many thanks in advance to all of you for participating in this, and many thanks to all of you who remember this young man in your prayers.  You can address your notes to, "K-Mac"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know that is almost a year since this story was posted but I have just read it and would like to say how moved I was by it. I am a Kosovar Albanian living in London and I was appalled to hear of the abuse that this young man suffers because of his religious preference. Kosovo was once a 100% Catholic nation with strong links to the Papalcy, and I wish that we could go back to this time. Islam was forced on us by the Ottoman Empire in the 14/15th century and so is just the religion of a occupying state which should now be cast off. However, I doubt that a strong sense of religion will ever be established in Kosovo as the people are becoming too liberal, but it is better than the continuing Arab influence in the region leading to more and more extremist views. Nevertheless, I am extremely grateful for your work in my country, may you prosper!